CBC Reply
From: Wayne Williams <wayne.williams@cbc.ca>
To: Patrick <patrick@desireecapuano.com>
Date: Thu, Apr 14 2016 3:41:24 pm
Dear Mr. Fox,

Thank you for your email of March 8 addressed to Esther Enkin, CBC
Ombudsman, concerning our stories about your website and the dispute
between you and your ex-wife. Since CBC news in British Columbia is
my responsibility I would like to respond.

First let me apologize for the delay in responding.

Your complaint suggests we deliberately misrepresented the facts.  With all
due respect I can not agree.  Please allow me to address the specifics of
your email.

While you say you provided proof Desiree Capuano, your former wife, lied
about a number of allegations against you, the record is not clear.

For example your wife says your web site cost her a job and harmed her
ability to find work

While your March 8 email suggests your ex-wife was lying about this, your
response was, "If as a consequence of the website she's unable to get a
job...Good."  You had an opportunity to refute her claims but did not.

Any reasonable person would conclude a web site like yours is designed to
have a negative impact on all aspects of your wife's life.

On that site you say Desiree Capuano  is a drug addict, a child abuser and
a white supremacist.

When you were asked "Is there anything that would convince you to take the
website down? You responded, "When she is destitute and homeless and the
existence of the website would become irrelevant."

You say you have proof Capuano lied when she said you threatened to kill
her.  We did not report that she said that.  It was clear she "feared for
her safety" and we explored that extensively with you.

We asked you about a conversation you had with your son when he asked if
you would ever shoot his mother.  You replied you'd have "no qualms" about
killing her if that was legal.

You told us, "No qualms right...means no moral dilemma. That doesn't mean
that I would actually do it."

We also reported that the Criminal Justice Branch told us that given what
they understood to be your comment that they, "couldn't conclude that that
would cause the complainant (your ex-wife) to have an objective fear for
their personal safety."

You also say your wife was telling a lie when she claimed you hid your son
from her. Your told our journalists the proof is in a transcript from a
court hearing. Our read of that was far from conclusive.

When we did not see nor hear absolute evidence of proof we always provided
both yours and your ex-wife's perspective in what is clearly a bitter
dispute.

We reported what you had said in response to her accusation, "Fox told CBC
that Capuano abandoned their son for years."

Now to your last point alleging we falsely reported the RCMP had
recommended a charge of criminal harassment against you.

You say your proof is a police document you posted that says,"There is no
criminal offense being committed."

That document was printed September 1, 2015, before the RCMP completed
their investigation. We stand by our statement that the RCMP forwarded a
charge of criminal harassment against you to crown in October.

We did report that the Crown did not approve the charge, quoting a
spokesperson who said, "In this case, the fact the people live in different
countries played a part in that assessment."

Finally, it is my responsibility to tell you that if you are not satisfied
with this response, you may wish to submit the matter for review by the CBC
Ombudsman. The Office of the Ombudsman, an independent and impartial body
reporting directly to the President, is responsible for evaluating program
compliance with the CBC’s journalistic policies. The Ombudsman may be
reached by mail at Box 500, Terminal A, Toronto, Ontario M5W 1E6, or by
telephone at 416-205-2978, or by fax at 416-205-2825, or by e-mail.

Sincerely,
Wayne Williams
News Director
CBC News